THE WORCESTER COUNTY POETRY ASSOCIATION ANNUAL FRANK O'HARA PRIZE:
PLEASE READ COMPLETE CONTEST GUIDELINES BEFORE ENTERING! ENTRIES NOT MEETING THE GUIDELINES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. WE CANNOT REFUND THE SUBMISSION FEE FOR ENTRIES THAT DO NOT MEET THE GUIDELINES.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
- ONLY CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE WORCESTER COUNTY POETRY ASSOCIATION (WCPA), RESIDENTS OF WORCESTER COUNTY, OR THOSE WHO WORK OR ATTEND SCHOOL IN WORCESTER COUNTY ARE ELIGIBLE TO ENTER. Entries from people who do not meet this criteria will be disqualified.
- Previous first place winners are not eligible.
JUDGING AND AWARDS:
The 2014 judge is poet B.J. Ward
- First Place: $100 / Second Place: $50 / Third Place $25
- Winning poems are published in The Worcester Review, after which all rights revert to the poet
- Contest winners will be announced June 2014
- The Winners' Reading and Award Reception will take place in September 2014
- Winners will be notified by phone. All other entrants will be notified of the results electronically.
- WCPA does not pre-select poems. All entries are seen by the judge.
- There is no entry fee for active WCPA Members, although a one-time administrative fee of $1.50 to Tell it Slant applies if you enter online. This is comparable to the cost of postage for a traditional mail submission. If you enter as a member but our records indicate that you are not a member, your work will be disqualified.
- Non-WCPA Members: Submit 5 poems for a fee of $5.50 (plus a $1.50 administrative fee to Tell it Slant if you apply online). Note that if you are not a WCPA member, you are only elgible if you reside, work, or attend school in Worcester County. Submissions from people who do not meet this criteria will be dismissed. We cannot refund the submission fee for those who fail to read these directions.
- You may join also WCPA now to be eligible to enter. To become a member of the WCPA, visit our website and follow the instructions (http://www.worcestercountypoetry.org/Membership.html). As long as your membership form and check arrive by April 1, your work will be eligible.
- Poems must be the original work of the entrant, in English, and not previously published.
- DO NOT put your name ANYWHERE on your manuscript. If your name appears anywhere on the manuscript, your entry will be disqualified.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Enter online via The Worcester Review's submissions page on Tell it Slant or by sending your submission via traditional mail to The Worcester County Poetry Association, Attn Contest Chair, 1 Ekman St, Worcester, MA 01607
- For traditional submissions, include a cover letter with your name, mailing address, and phone number, as well as a list of the titles of your poems. Non-WCPA Members, include a check for $5.00 to the WCPA.
- For online submissions: WCPA MEMBERS: Enter in the "WCPA Member Contest Entry" Genre. In the "submitters comments" field, enter your name, complete street address, and phone number so that we may verify your membership status. Be sure your name does not appear anywhere on your manuscript. Non-WCPA MEMBERS: Enter in the "Non-Member Contest Entry" Genre. In the "submitters comments" field, enter your name, complete street address, and phone number. If you work or study in Worcester County, but do not live in Worcester County, indicate that as well, so that we can verify your eligiblity for this contest. Be sure your name does not appear anywhere on your manuscript.